ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:05:01 -0400
Kathy, Dear,

Perhaps you should assess what your monitoring has accompished.  Has it
kept Chris out of jail?  Has it made his reputation with the authorities
better?  Has it kept him from using illegal drugs?  Has it stopped him from
being deceitful?  Has it calmed him down so he isn't violent against
you?  Has it brought you peace and satisfaction knowing what he is up
to?  Are you, Greg, Chris and your other children any better off than
before you began the monitoring?  I pray that you can reply yes to some of
these questions, and I refer only to the monitoring, not to any of the
other efforts you have put forth.

 From what information I have been able to get on drug testing using urine,
if a legitimate laboratory does the test and the sample is clear, it will
be suspected that it has been watered down.  A good lab will do further
testing, like checking the person's creatinine levels, or even do the test
on hair or perspiration.   I can't imagine that plain water would pass the
test if the test is done correctly.

I am so sorry that you have experienced such turmoil in your life.  But
before you make a decision to tell Chris you have been monitoring him,
consider what the consequences of that may be.  I know you don't trust
Chris, and that you have monitored him out of your love, wanting to help
him, but telling him just may so turn him against you and Greg that he will
lose all respect for you.  He could turn bitter and resentful knowing that
you cannot be relied upon to tell him the truth.  And how will telling him
affect your witness as a Christian??  Even if you told him and apologized
for it, would he ever trust you again?

This may seem harsh, but I certainly don't mean it that way.  One very
important thing to remember while wondering what to do in this situation,
is that you and Greg are the adults, not Chris.  He is a rebellious child,
more interested in pleasing his peers than in pleasing you or the
Lord.  You may have to just let him go and make all the mistakes he needs
to make before God brings him to his knees.  And believe me, He will!

Hang in there, dear Kathy!  This nightmare will end, and the dawning of a
new day will bring you the Peace that passes understanding.  God knows your
heart's cry for your son.  He wept for His own Son as He hung upon that
cross at Calvary, and may even weep today over the rejection of Him by so
many who have had the opportunity to come, but refused.

With love and deep concern,
Helen