BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv which takes flossing seriously! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:25:46 -0700
> I recently received an e-mail from an ILBA (International Log Builders
> Association) member suggesting WOOL as a superior chinking material. I'm
> interested to hear ideas on that!

Ah, the debate rages on and on.   Curiously, Norton Anti-Spam has put all of
the Chinking e-mails into my Spam-a-Lot  e-folder.   I wonder if it is
because of the now currently impolite use of the word "chink".

Of course, it all depends on whether your purpose is historic recreation or
contemporary efficiency.   Historically, in British Columbia, I have seen
everything from clay mud to sphagnum moss, newspapers, loose chunks of wood,
cow shit, horse shit, Portland cement, sheep's wool, oakum, spray plastic
foam, fibreglass, horse hair and green ground moss used.    Sheep's wool
sounds like a really bad idea, but to the Scots it might be the pig's meow.
Glad I don't have to live there.   I have a natural sheep wool sweater made
by Indians here in BC, and although it sheds water wonderfully, it does have
a distinct aura of the natural world about it.

The many commercial modern log home guys here in BC have long favoured
fibreglass stuffed into a channel carved up in the bottom of each log.

cp in well-chinked bc