From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:58:26 -0800
I don't agree at all.  Fuses should be put near battery and if you want to
you can fuse also near the radio.  If you only fuse near the radio, you're
asking for trouble.  If you get a short in that wire before the fuse,
you've got big big problems.  How fast can a car burn???  It isn't a short
in the wiring that will harm a radio, it is a short in the radio or the
radio drawing too much current.  If the radio draws too much current, it
will blow the fuse whether or not it is near the batter or radio.  If you
fuse close to the battery, you're protecting the radio, but also
protecting the car's wiring if it shorts, for example, where the wires go
through the firewall.  It is also a good idea to fuse the ground wire.  I
sold and installed commercial two-way equipment from 1970 until I left
Kansas in 2000.
73s
Butch Bussen
wa0vjr