From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 2005 22:13:29 -0400
Kevin,

In my opinion, power is not the reason for buying the 480.  The major
selling point of the radio is that everything is either accessible
through speech, CW readout, or high and low pitch beeps.  There are
two versions of the radio: the HX version which puts out 200 watts,
and the SAT version which puts out half that amount of power, but has
an internal automatic antenna tuner.  I bought the 100-watt version
because it cost less, and was easier to hook up to the power
supply.  I figured that if I needed more power I'd buy an amplifier
because 200 watts wouldn't be enough anyway.  If you want to learn
more about the power supply issue, read the reviews at www.eham.net.

Steve