Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 08:40:20 -0500
We've discussed on this list before how the explorer. V. Stefannson ate an
all-meat diet during a year long experiment and did not suffer any apparant
ill effects.  Does anyone know if he had any mineral deficiencies or bone
loss? Apparantly, "native Eskimo people have one of the very highest rates
of osteoporosis in the world"" (194). (See Mazess, R., "Bone Mineral
Content of North Alaskan Eskimos," Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 27:916,
1974.)

The traditional Eskimo diet is protein rich 200-400 grams per day, devoid
of most fruits and vegetables, yet very high in calcium from bone broth.
Any thoughts?  I'm not suggesting that dairy products are the answer to
prevent bone loss -- most women I know with osteoporosis are constantly
snarfing down dairy.  I'm just concerned that my all meat days may be
hurting me in the long run.