From:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diane Ebert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 05:01:22 -0500

I received a few emails from my statement of what my husband and I found requarding Prilosec.

My husband and I have Celiac/Sprue Disease which makes this "doubley" important.

I will have the original statement followed by the different comments.

Thank you for your input.

Diane, Iowa
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HI!

> I would like to add what we found out when 'checking' on Prilosec. =20
>
> First I would like to remind everyone that the Pharmacist is to check on =
> the ingredients on the drugs we use,,,and they need to be 'reminded' =
> every time we get any form of perscription. =20
>
> Due to our insurance,,,there are only certain drugs that are =
> covered,,,,etc,,,and some we have to pay more for.  Anyway,,,when =
> checking with the pharmacist they told us,,that the company that =
> '?makes?' the Prilosec could not guarantee that it was Gluten Free.  =
> So,,,we use Previcid.  Nexium is what we were going to get,,but,,,of =
> course we were told to 'go in order' so,,,,we start with Previcid.  =
> Previcid is Gluten Free.  Again,,,I will have them check our =
> prescription when we get refills.=20
>
> I have no financial interest in the company,,,just passing on the =
> information. =20
>
> HOpe you all have a great weekend,,, Diane, Iowa
>
> *Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CELIAC List*

Comments

My insurance company told me they would not pay for Previcide anymore and
told me to take prilosec. I did, and what a mistake!

I went to my Doc and told him what happened. He told me that the insurance
companies are doing this to cut cost. They will make you jump through hoops.
They want you to see the doc more often, other then calling for the RX. He
then said DON"T TAKE Prilosec it WILL cause more damage. He then have me
several samples of Previcide and told me that He will write the insurance
carriers and advise that I am unable to deviate from Previcid. IN these
cases they will pay for the RX.

We went through the same thing.  I finally talked to a "higher up" at
Priolosec.  Apparently certain batches of Priolosec are gf, but each time
you get a presciption filled, you have to check the batch # your pharmacy
has, then check with the company to see if that batch is gf.  We just stuck
with Prevacid, which has worked well for my daughter.

That's interesting...

When our daughter was diagnosed with CD (by two pediatric gastroenterologists) via blood testing and endoscopy, they noted she had some ulcerous areas along her intestinal lining, and prescribed her an adult dose of Prilosec (this was about 2 year ago when it was not available as an OTC medication), twice daily, for THREE months!  The medication was running approximately $900 per month.  In any event, it was GF at that time... not sure what (if anything) may have changed.
Last week you posted a message on the CELIAC list indicating that your pharmacist couldn't verify that Prilosec is GF.  This is very misleading, since this is a product known to be GF and taken by many celiacs (check the list archives for numerous postings since 1999).

Possibly your pharmacist is confused about the meaning of 'starch' as one of the inactive ingredients.  Of course, FDA rules clearly indicate that anything labeled 'starch' can only be made from cornstarch.  Any other kind of starch would be spelled out or referred to as 'modified food starch'.

I've been taking Prilosec OTC for over a year for esophagitis.  Take a look at a package in your local drugstore, check the website or call the manufacturer yourself, if you're still doubtful.  Also, be aware that Prilosec OTC is virtually identical to Prilosec Rx but much, much cheaper.