From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 00:33:51 -0600
an FT101E with a mc60 or mc80 mike on it, or even a d-104 with the dynamic
head will out perform any radio on the market as far as full bodied audio
goes, except for perhaps the 1000MP...or unless you have a kenwood or Icom
with allot of audio gear such as equalizers, compressors processing and
gating on before it gets to the mike preamp.
I do grant you though, many of yaesu's current radios do lack good audio...i
refer to 897, 857 and those sorts of rigs...when i say yaesu, i do refer to
all of their radio equipment in general not just what they have produced in
the last 10 years only.
This is where opinions become more prevalent then actual fact i suppose, but
given a kenwood, icom and yaesu, all of the same vintage and same general
specifications, the yaesu's, at least, in the past, will out do audio on HF
as far as lows and midrange is concerned...kenwood and icom have always
focused on the mid to hi mid range frequencies in the audio and accentuated
the highs, supposedly for better punch through dx or noisy conditions.
It really depends upon what your ears want to hear, and of course, with
modern rigs, there are DSP and pass band controls which allow the listener
of the received audio to pretty much make it as basy or high pitched as they
so desire thus more or less making any incoming signal sound great.
Even built in receiver equalization controls are common on the new rigs
giving even more flexibility to the heard audio.
With these flexible controls at the receiver, the tailoring or better
quality of the other stations transmitted audio becomes less and less
important, although, still remains fairly important in order to give a solid
stable and well resonant platform for the different receiver controls to
work with.

only opinion here guys, im not stating this as fact or anything just what i
have experienced and what my ideas on the subject are at this present time
hi hi.
73
Colin, V A6BKX