From:
Cas Kearse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 May 2005 11:27:47 -0500
>From: Michael RaitiDU
>Subject: Acidophilus
>Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 15:33:35 -0400
>
>Are (or have) any of you taken acidophilus (or bifidis) as a dietary
>supplement?
Yes, I take it and my daughter does too.  She has celiac disease which I
understand compromises intestinal flora.  It is sporadic since I have to
chase her down to get it into her.  She doesn't mind taking it just doesn't
think about it.  Personally I can't say that I know for sure that it's
making a difference.  My suspicion is that I've had yeast infection(s) over
the (past) years which I "diagnosed" lately from learning more of the
symptoms.  I have started this woe and several other health improvements so
am unable to determine what is due to what.

  Did paleolithic man occasionally ingest acidophilus
>rich substances?
I absolutely believe so
.
  Is acidophilus not a concern because the gut
>bacteria is able to maintain its balance without being ingested?
the medical establishment would have everyone believe this.  I happen to
think that this flora is too important to leave to happenstance.
  Do
>any of you take it as "insurance" for good health?
Yes, it is important for producing vit K which in turn is important for
nutrient absorption for bone health.  As a woman and my daughter being
female and a celiac sufferer, bone health is of great interest.

Cas