From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 May 2005 03:28:12 -0500
On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:11, Ilana King wrote:

>Thanks Dedy.  I also have bought meat at The Ginger Pig as it is just around
>the corner.  However, I have found the  prices really high - but I am still
>in supermarket mode I guess.

>> ..  I get my meat from The Ginger Pig on Moxon st.
>> W1 [they sell in Borough market too, all grass-fed and naturally reared]
>> and from the bio-dynamic water-buffalo farmer at the Marylebone's
>> farmers market on Sundays... occasionally I'd buy organic lamb from
>> Waitrose as lamb is the least processed meat and always grass-fed
>> [well at least in the UK]
>>
>> As for prices, the above sources are cheaper than organic meat from the
>> supermarket and I buy mostly cuts with bones etc. which helps keep the
>> budget down too... OTOH... as the quality of the food we eat is one of our
>> top priorities,   adjustments are made elsewhere in our budget :-)
>>
>> Dedy
>> I have sworn to not buy anymore meat from supermarkets
>> and try to source all meat as free range or organic and
>> grass fed.  Turning out to be very expensive though.

One of the principles of organic agriculture is husbanding the soil and the farm environment.  It
costs money to do this and this one of the reasons why organic farm produce can be more
expensive than that from non-organic farms that rip off the environment.

When we buy organic food we are paying closer to the real cost of the food production.  When we
buy non-organic food it costs us less money but costs the environment more.  The environment is
subsidizing our supermarket food shopping.

Organic agriculture is the ONLY sort of agriculture that is sustainable.  As Herb Stein, famously put
it: "If something can't go on forever, it won't."  That is, if we don't go organic, there will be nothing
left.  We have been sleepwalking into the future in an oil-based economy (agriculture, transport,
processing, packaging, supermarkets - the lot); this can't continue, so we'd better begin preparing
for the future now.

Keith