ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:25:46 -0600
     I agreed with all the comments I read on the list about the
story of the songbird and the flower.  The overall theme, or
idea, was good.  That seemed to be, of course, that we all are
individually just as important to God as someone who seems to have
a great talent they are using for the Lord.

     After reading the story, I sat at my keyboard for awhile and
thought about it.  Something about it just didn't sound right and
yet I agreed with the main thrust of the story.  As I read it a
second time, I began to realize what it was that bothered me.

     First, the other animals, especially those in church,
including the eagles that came in to visit later, all agree she
had a gift which needed to be shared with others to glorify the
Lord.  This is not all that uncommonly done.  However, the story
makes me uncomfortable because it appears church leadership seems
to be all screwed up and apparently can't hear from God very well
at all.  Yes, I'm probably your biggest church critic.  It is hard
for me to believe, however, there wasn't one wise person in that
church.

     Secondly, the flower sent the little songbird back on her way
to sit outside, a long ways away from the church, and sing.  Lone
Ranger Christians, or what I sometimes call generic Christians,
often have an agenda.  If you hang around them long enough, you'll
spot it.  this is true, to some degree, of the church, of course,
and some people building ministries and churches, instead of God's
children, have an agenda as well and it isn't any more ordained of
God than those traveling around and functioning in para church
ministries.

     Thirdly, there is a verse in the Bible where talks about
ministering to the Lord.

One. Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain
prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called
Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, who had been brought up
with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
Two.  As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Spirit
said, Separate for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I
have called them.
Three.  And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands
on them, they sent them away.
Four. So they, being sent forth by the Holy Spirit, departed to
Seleucia; and from there they sailed to Cyprus, (Acts 13:1-4).

     The Greek word used for "ministered" in the second verse
simply means to execute an office without being paid.  It just
means that a person would, in this case, minister to the Lord
without expecting anything in return.  The same word is only used
three times in the New Testament.

     You might notice that this was a group of people worshipping
the Lord together and waiting upon the Holy Spirit to give them
direction.  I doubt anybody would disagree that spending time
alone with the Lord just in worship is important but you don't
have to be alone to do it.  If you don't have a church and the
Lord has not led you to one at the moment, you can worship the
Lord right where you are.  Good thought and I believe that likely
this was the basic truth of the entire little story.

     The advice of the flower was, do your thing, that is, what
God has given to you as a gift, but you don't need the church for
that.  Poor advice at best.

     Just my opinion as a trouble maker you understand.

Phil.

Phil C Sharp
The Coil Of The snake
A Free Online E-Novel