From:
Kevin Kwan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:18:05 -0400
Collin had some excellent points. In addition let me say that the only way
the rules might change is if one was to log in to some of the hf gateways
available on echolink. This feature is cool because it gives the user hf
accessibilities. Even if you have your own hf station, it's fun to log on to
another station located far away. This way you get a good look on
propagation and band conditions thousands of miles from your home. I think
to use these features though, you need privileges. They verify each user
first. I've never used any of these gateways but they're easy to use, you
control the radio and the frequencies with your keyboard, or your mouse.
Also, some repeaters are connected to hf frequencies. Thus allowing the user
to transmit on what ever they've set the node to. The zl1vk-l link is one of
them. They transmit on an eighty meter frequency. Since you are using their
connection, you're welcome to use it regardless of your operating
privileges. Then there are frequencies you can log on to that are for
listening. Here's one I know of: If you want to hear Art Bell and his bunch
on 75 meters, on a frequency of 3840, link on to the wb6lzv-l system. They
rebroadcast that frequency all day and night. Listen to Art's signal as
well. It's no secret that he's way stronger than his friends. In fact, it's
been stated quite directly, that they don't bother with anyone who isn't 20
over signal strength. Anyone who's not arm chair copy, won't be acknowledged
by their snobby group. I'm pretty sure that link is listen only. I've never
played with it enough to see if it did anything else. A lot of text messages
flash on the screen and it's nothing relevant from what I read. It seemed to
give brief details of that station transmitting the hf frequency. Have fun
though, if you care to listen. Maybe we'll run across each other on
echolink. My call is va3kky, 73.