ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:00:42 -0500
I wanted to look up the word "conqueror" itself in that passage, however
the translation is grouped "more than conquerors" and is taken back to the
original word defined as...

NT:5245
hupernikao (hoop-er-nik-ah'-o); from NT:5228 and NT:3528; to vanquish
beyond, i.e. gain a decisive victory:

KJV - more than conquer.

So although there is a chance of comparing apples to oranges here, I don't
know, I searched for the word conquer and took the samples from Revelation
and found it to be defined as...

NT:3528
nikao (nik-ah'-o); from NT:3529; to subdue (literally or figuratively):

KJV - conquer, overcome, prevail, get the victory.

If one looks at the definitions of both, and not the part that says KJV
blah blah blah, the "more than conqueror" is defined as a decisive
victory. as if to say to overcome it. And the word used in Revelation and
translated as "conqueror" or "conqueroring" is defined as to subdue. So
the first one seems to be a unquestionable victory over the quest, perhaps
equaling that of David standing over Goliath with sword in hand about to
remove his head from body. While the latter meaning of subdue to me
cannotes to hold back or simply stop a certain action or act leaving a
victory by default of that hold. This could be likened to the Detroit
Lions holding the Packers from scoring all the times they managed to get
the ball down to the Lions en zone. P U. hehehehe. In other words with the
near all time record penalties in one game of 15  totalling 100 yards, the
Lions conquered or subdued the Packers and in essence didn't win the game
but rather the Packers lost the game. Where as if the Packers played their
heart out and did everything right and still lost, the Lions would have
been "more than conquerors" and had a decisive victory.

Brad