BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
The listserv which takes flossing seriously! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:58:11 -0700
7bit
From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Deb,

An afterthought concerning chinking choices.   The purpose is insulation.
Cement mortar is a lousy insulator.   Fibrous manure is a fine insulator.
In winter, one often sees snow laying happily on top of dried cow pies while
the snow on the ground diminishes due to earth warmth.

I have always wondered where the word "chinking" came from.   Out here in
Pacifica, "chink" was/is a rude word for a Chinaman.   There certainly is no
tradition of the Chinese as log builders.   We always used the term
"chinking" as a boat building term, meaning the stuffing of oakum between
planks for waterproofing.

At the old style coastal fish canneries the Chinese were the traditional
fish gutters (gut removers), standing in great numbers along troughs to
perform the task with knives.   Eventually a mechanical gut remover was
invented, automating the process and displacing hundreds of workers.  The
mechanical marvel was called The Iron Chink.   The name was cast prominently
right into the iron frame for all to see.   In the recent years of literary
political delicacy, the display about historic fish processing at our
Provincial Museum experienced a problem with the name.   The machine is
still on view, but the display lighting has been arranged to put the name in
deep shadow, and the text panel has been changed to read, simplistically,
"Mechanical fish gut remover."

cp in bc

PS:   the best time to chink your logs is not in the summer when flies of
all sorts love to congregate on the fresh warm cow-provided insulation
material, even after towelling and before lunch.