From:
Gordon McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 07:43:19 -0500
William

Had a weird one about two years ago similar to what you are talking about.
The modem would just seem to hang or just not respond after intermittent
periods of time on the Internet.

Up on further investigation I noticed it was sharing a device interrupt
with the video card.

In the info about the driver for the modem it claimed it could share, etc.
BUT .. As soon as I put he modem on an interrupt that was by itself,
problem went away.
(This was on Windows 98 however)

TTYL
Gordon

David Gillett wrote:

>   Are you using a 56K modem?
>
>   I used to have a similar problem fairly frequently with mine.  My ISP
> suggested adding about three commas to the end of the phone number -- each
> causes a pause of about two seconds.  According to them, this improves the
> odds that the 56K auto-negotiation process will reach a stable result.
>   I can't remember when was the last time I had a session hang the way you
> describe.  Adding those commas seems to have done the trick!
>
> David Gillett
>
> On 17 May 2005 at 12:41, WILLIAM SHAFFER wrote:
>
> > Here is a weird one.
> >
> > I am on dial up (unfortunately)
> >

> > Periodically and randomly even though my PPP icon show active connective
> > status. everything will stop. Browser, OE, Messenger, etc... It is as if I
> > clicked the pad lock in zone alarm and closed all ports!  I don't think its
> > ZA is doing on its own  because I have shut it down and the problem remains
> > the same. I have to disconnect and re-dial in to re-establish everything.
> >
> > I am running WIN XP Pro
> >
> > And just to name a few:
> > NAV 2004 always updated.
> > SpySwsweeper
> > ZA Pro
> > The Cleaner always updated
> > All WIN updates to date including SP2
> >
> > So I don't think it an issue of a Trojan or virus. I am pretty religious
> > about keeping my programs up to date and use them frequently.
> > I frequently run NETSTAT or use TCP View to monitor inbound outbound
> > connections and do not see anything out of the ordinary.
> >
> > Perhaps its just my ISP?
> >
> > I use MSN, but do not use any of the MSN software or MSN Dial up Connection
> > manager. (Never will either!) I just use the good ole' windows dial
> > networking.
> >

> > Anyhow anyone have any ideas on this?
> >
> > -=William=-

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,