From:
Andrea & Bill Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 08:17:37 -0400
Greetings;

    DVD Decrypter takes a copy protected movie and places it on your hard
drive with all protection stripped. DVD Shrink will take the movie and
reduce its overall size to allow it to fit onto one 4.7 Gig (if you wish)
DVD. DVD Shrink gives you various options as to video quality, etc. DVD
Shrink, once it is finished reauthoring the movie, will then start another
program to burn the DVD. DVD Decrypter and Nero are the two built-in
choices.

    The big deal with DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink is that they are free and
updated as the authors see fit. There are numerous programs with various
costs that will do the same job, usually with a far simpler interface and a
one-step process for the user.

    As for quality problems, DVD media is definitely not all equal and you
most often get what you pay for. Slowing down the burn speed is often enough
to allow poorer or slower media to work, but not always. However, I bought
some old 1X Sony discs on a Walmart clearance table and have been pleasantly
surprised at how well they work. I've bought other brands and have been
disappointed.

    The quality of the burned disc can be related to almost everything in
the process of copying, other than the original disc itself (assuming it was
an original in good shape, etc.)

Bill