Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:04:26 -0500
Hello Walt,

Once you shut down the computer, it is disconnected from the Internet at
that point, regardless of which type of connection you have. Whether you
turn the modem off or not is a personal choice. I would leave it on simply
because it doesn't consume much power and it eliminates the step of turning
it on again, however small, when you're ready to go back online.

DSL is not, in every instance, an 'always on' connection as far as the
computer is concerned. If Verizon requires a user name and a password to
connect, you are not connected to the Internet until you manually initiate
the connection after the computer is up and running. An exception would be
if you have placed a shortcut to the connection in the Startup folder to
initiate the connection when you start the computer. A downside to this is
you could be connected to the Internet a few seconds before your software
firewall is active. Instead, you may want to drag the connection icon from
Network Connections to the Quick Launch bar for a handy one click access.

Sven Swanson, Sr.