From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:36:55 -0400
The ECS KM400-M2 motherboard is a socket A motherboard for the Athlon XP
line of processors.  You won't be able to use a socket 754 processor with
it.

ECS also makes a KM800-M2, perhaps this is the one you had in mind.

This system will rely upon integrated graphics for video, which will seem a
bit slow (even in a 2D environment) compared to a dedicated video card,
since it makes use system memory.  You can always add an inexpensive video
card, later.

Looking at NewEgg, it appears that the parts should cost around $400 for
this system (I've priced this with the KM800-M2, 512MB SDRAM, and an Antec
SLK1650 case, which is what my choice would be for a case with this system).
This doesn't include shipping, however; so, the $500 price seems reasonable
for an assembled system with a 1 year warranty that includes labor.

If you can, make sure they use a single 512MB memory stick when they bump
your memory to 512MB.  You only have two slots and 2x256mb would fill both,
leaving no room for any potential increase in the future.

Speaking of expandability, Asrock makes several interesting socket 754
motherboards, based on different chipsets, that come with a socket 754
onboard, but they will also accept Asrock's socket 939 upgrade card, which
leaves the door open to switching over to these processors in the future.
(The upgrade card is not included; so, it will be an additional cost.)

John Sproule