C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 01:16:59 -1000
It's all so complicated! As though you have nothing better to do than
travel to and wait for a doctor, a doctor, a doctor.
The only way it will get better is for the patients to continue to educate
their doctors. We now have a PT with no cp background as their are no other
clients with this in the area. But when his knee started going out and
beofre I found the knee pads the parents took him to 2 orthopods who both
said it was contractures and he needed surgery and were ready to schedule
it. He had lost lots of function so it would have been easy to believe, "He
has contractures and he needs surgery."  So I asked the PT and she said,
"He does not have contractures and stretching is working, he needs more of
it." I tell his mom and she says there are different levels of
contractures.  It's difficult to figure out the best course based on what
they are all saying and so trusting yourself after getting all the opinions
is about all you can do. I asked mom if Casey was in the room while the
doctor was telling her he needed surgery and she said yes.  So the doctor
is talking with mom about operating on Casey's legs in front of him. Later
that week on our bike ride he says you know it's kinda hard for a 7 year
old to face surgery. He's scared and that is a reasonable response.
Case has reflux and sometimes throws up and is usually fine afterwards.
I've been reading more about botox and that it can be a side effect but he
had it before botox.  Anyone know if reflux is related to CP? It's worse
when he is under stress.