Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kirsten Klinghammer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 00:34:23 -0700

About a week ago I had posted a message asking if anyone knew of a
gluten-free, dairy-free, substitute blue cheese.  Although several other
listmembers were also eager to learn of such a product, I’m afraid no one
reported knowing of one.

The best suggestion I received was to try a gluten-free blue goat cheese, as
it might be easier to digest than cow’s milk cheese.  I must admit I
succumbed to temptation and purchased a nice sheep’s milk Roquefort cheese
instead - which was very tasty.  The cheese I purchased was “Roquefort Cave
Indépendante” from Trader Joe’s Market (www.traderjoes.com).  Trader Joe’s
gluten-free list for the west coast lists all of its cheeses as being
gluten-free.  I didn’t double-check with the manufacturer, but I didn’t have
a noticeable gluten reaction from eating it, so I presume it’s gluten-free.
I find sheep cheese and goat cheese less allergy-promoting than cows milk
cheese, but I do notice that inhalant allergies begin to bother me when
eating those too so I usually avoid them.

By the way, Trader Joe’s offers a soy cheese which I prefer above all other
soy cheeses.  It’s “Soy Cheese Alternative – Mozzarella Flavor”.  Its
ingredients are: soy base (water, organic soymilk powder), casein (milk
protein), expeller-pressed canola oil and olive oil, natural and cultured
flavorings, organic brown rice flour, sodium and calcium phosphates, sea
salt, citric acid, and carrageenan.  It’s very mild in flavor, and melts
readily.  The flavor is closest to Soya Kaas, and may even be that being
sold under Trader Joe’s label (except it tastes better than I remember the
Soya Kaas Mozzarella tasting).  So many other soy cheeses have corn starch
in them (another no-no for me) or have a strong soy taste, that this is the
only one I particularly care for.  I thought I’d pass along the
recommendation in case anyone is interested.

And if any readers work for a company which produces gluten-free, dairy-free
cheeses, a nice blue cheese would be welcome!

Sincerely,

Kirsten Klinghammer
Rescue, CA, USA