From:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:43:11 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I had a couple of things that I wanted to add to my summary ---

#1  A few years ago, I purchased the book, Celiac Sprue, A Guide Thru the Medicine Cabinet, by Marcia Milazzo and have found it to be an invaluable resource tool to finding out which medications are gluten free.  It can be found at www.celiacmeds.com.  (I have no financial interest in this company.)

However, I want to caution you about using any lists or publications for anything other than a guide.  It is my belief that by the time lists and/or publications are written and disseminated, they could already be outdated.   I have had companies tell me that their fillers can change from batch to batch of medication.

#2  When our doctors prescribe medication for my husband, the first thing that we do is stop at the pharmacy to find out which medications (including generic substitutes) that they can use to fill the prescription.  We also ask for the pharmaceutical company's name.  Then we go home and look it up in the publication listed above to see what it says.  We also look up the contact information and phone number and contact the company ourselves to verify the information found in the book.  If the company information is not found in the book, then we research the internet to find it and follow the above procedure.

This is our procedure for both prescription and non-prescription products.

#3  The information that I shared in my summary was all obtained from other listmembers who shared what they have found.   Even though we share information regarding safe foods and medications on this list, each person must be responsible for verifying that information on their own.

For instance, one of the medications that was prescribed for my husband during a recent hospital stay had no generic equivalent.  I checked several of the resources that were provided in my summary and the medication was listed as GF.  When I contacted the pharmaceutical company to verify the information, I was told it was GF.  The following morning, when my pharmacist contacted the company, they were told it was NOT GF.  So, I called the pharmaceutical company again and requested a supervisor.  The supervisor told me that they do not test the product for gluten and furthermore, they change their fillers -- sometimes on a batch to batch basis -- so there is no way they could know whether the medication contained gluten or not.

This medication was for a life threatening situation and there were no generics or substitutes so he had no choice but to take it until the doctors could figure out exactly what was going on.   Luckily, he only had to take it for two weeks.

Please be cautious when using lists and/or publications and ALWAYS verify the gluten status of a product for yourself.

Have a great day!

Barbara in Missouri

Disclaimer ---  I am a volunteer and not a medical expert, but I can share with you information that I have found helpful.  Please contact your medical professional for medical advice regarding your situation.  Please verify the gluten free status of products often for your own protection.