From:
Sandy Metius <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandy Metius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 09:24:20 -0700

I am so sorry that it has taken me so very long to summarize. I have not had a chance to try these recipes yet. I was looking for a soft ginger molasses cookie like Whole Foods Molasses Ginger Cookie.  Here are the recipes I received for Gluten-free molasses ginger cookies:

Ginger Cookies  #1

2 1/4 c rice flour           1 tsp cinnamon

2 tsp. soda                 3/4 c. shortening

1/4 tsp salt                1 c. brown sugar

1/2 tsp cloves              1 egg

1 tsp ginger                1/4 c. molasses

Sift together dry ingredients except sugar. Cream shortening

with brown sugar, add egg, and molasses.  Add dry

ingredients and mix.  Chill dough in refrigerator for 30

minutes.  Roll into small balls, dip the top in white sugar,

flatten with fork on greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375F

about 8 to 10 minutes.

Ginger Cookies

2¼ cup rice flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons GF baking soda
¾ cup GF shortening
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon cloves
1 egg
1 teaspoon ginger
¼ cup molasses

Sift together dry ingredients except sugar. Cream shortening with brown sugar, add egg, and molasses. Add dry ingredients and mix. Chill dough in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Roll into small balls, dip the top in white sugar, and flatten with fork on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375F about 8 to 10 minutes.

Ginger Cookies #2

Ginger Cookies    Carol Child

---------------------------------

1/2-cup oil or shortening           1 tsp. Xanthan gum

3/4-cup brown sugar                1/4 tsp. salt

1 egg                                        3 tsp. baking powder

1/4-cup molasses                      1 tsp. soda

3/4-cup white rice flour             1 tsp. cinnamon

3/4-cup brown rice flour           1 tsp. ginger

1/3-cup potato starch               1/2 tsp. cloves

1/4-cup tapioca starch              Sugar for rolling

Beat oil, sugar, egg, and molasses until fluffy.  Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture; mix well.  Chill dough.  Shape into walnut-sized balls.  Roll in sugar.  Place  3-inches apart on GF oil sprayed baking sheet.  Sprinkle the top of each cookie with 3-4 drops of water to get a crackled effect.  Bake 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes until just set, but not hard

Soft Ginger Cookies         Dona Vickrey

1 cup sugar                           1/4 tsp salt

3/4 cup shortening or                 1 tsp. cinnamon

 Flieschman’s margarine               1 tsp. ginger

1 egg                                 2 cups sifted flour

1/4 cup Waconia Sorghum or molasses

2 tsp. soda

Cream sugar and shortening; add egg and sorghum; beat well. Add sifted dry ingredients; mix well.  Chill dough several hours.  Roll in small balls, dip in sugar, place on greased tin and flatten.  Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.                            Makes 4 dozen.

My Notes:  If the cookies are crisp rather than soft, place in a covered container to soften them. I used a combination of brown rice flour, tapioca flour, bean flour and buckwheat flour.  You might choose the flours in the ingredients listing on the ginger cookies you already like. I used Fleischman's.

Whole Foods  Molasses Ginger Cookies ingredients:  Sugar, Canola Oil, Rice Flour, Soy Flour, Eggs, Molasses, Tapioca Starch, Blackstrap Molasses, Baking Powder (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Corn Starch, Monocalcium Phosphate), Ginger, Cinnamon, Xanthan Gum.

   Spice Cookies using Sorghum Flour               Carol Fenster

   1/3 cup    Butter

   1/4 cup    Molasses

   1/2 cup    Brown Sugar, packed

   1 tsp        Vanilla

   3/4 cup    Gluten Free Sweet White Sorghum Flour

1/2 cup    Tapioca Flour

 1/4 cup   Soy Flour

 1 tsp       Xanthan Gum

 1/2 tsp    Sea Salt

 1 tsp       Baking soda

 1-1/2 tsp ground Ginger Root (Powdered)

 1-1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon, Saigon (Premium)

 1/4 tsp    ground Nutmeg

 1/4 tsp    ground Cloves

 2 Tbs.     Water (if needed)

 3 - 4 Tbs. Sugar (for rolling)

In food processor, blend butter (room temperature, not melted), molasses, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add dry ingredients and blend until thoroughly mixed and dough forms ball. (Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, only if mixture fails to form large ball – or if using electric mixer instead of food processor.) Dough will be stiff.

Shape into flat disk, cover tightly and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Grease a large cookie sheet or line with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 325°F.
Dust hands with rice flour and shape dough into 16 one-inch balls and roll in sugar; place 2” apart on cookie sheet.
Bake 10-12 minutes or until cookies start to crack. Remove from oven; cool two minutes before transferring to rack to cool. Store in airtight container.

Yield: 16 cookies