From:
Jenny Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jenny Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 12:20:47 -0500

Ok Chicago Celiacs and visitors,

If you are in, or come to, the Windy City you MUST go to this
restaurant, Scylla. Our supper club for the MetroCeliacs met there last
night and we were all in awe. It was another prix-fixe menu, which we
usually do, and it was by far the most amazing one yet. The ambiance was
calm and the decor, down to the room colors, seating, dishes, glasses
and silverware, was just incredible and comfortable, which made the
whole meal even more enjoyable. I am telling you, the presentation of
the courses surpassed any place I have tried thus far with the club. It
was artistic and really set a new standard for us. We marveled at the
tilted puddingish dessert for a while.

The chef, Stephanie, really knows what she is doing and I fully expect
her to be wooed by NY or LA, but hope she stays put.  The food was
exquisite and the presentation and place settings were unique.  The
flavor and innovative creative choices she made allowed us paranoid
celiacs to really branch out and expand our horizons. She took the time
to research our needs without compromising taste or options and set a
positive example of how it should be for us to dine out. She set the bar
high and I feel sorry for any chef that has to deal with me after this
wonderful experience. I will know this is possible and will now expect
it.

Here is our menu, I know it may be a stretch for some, but, trust us, we
are now converts into cuisine and not just food. I highly recommend you
stop in and call Stephanie and tell her we referred you and that you are
celiac. They are on www.metromix.com <http://www.metromix.com>  <
http://www.metromix.com <http://www.metromix.com> >  and will
have many favorable reviews from us. Their outdoor dining option is
adorable. We are doing that next time. We had such a blast that we are
going again soon as an informal get together. Thanks to all attendees
who braved the unique menu and helped make this the most successful
event yet. I know some were scared off by the menu because we have a
hard time trusting complicated or exotic dishes, but this really gave me
a lot more confidence about eating without anxiety. That is the best
combination I could hope for!!!!  Ok, no more gushing, I just really
wanted to share this amazing experience and pass it along to those who
have the option of enjoying it for themselves.

Scylla 773-227-2995 (ask for chef-Stephanie)
1952 N. Damen Ave.

Here was the four-star-two-thumbs-up-menu:

Grilled octopus salad with fava, yellow wax and peruvian white beans
with fresh mint and pecorino cheese
or
Spring greens salad with roasted baby beets and goat cheese, roasted
shallot vinaigrette

then

Crisp skate wing over warm salad of grilled calamari, chick peas,
radicchio and tomatoes, spiced tomato aioli
or
Grilled beef tenderloin over roasted sunchokes, grilled asparagus and
fingerling potatoes, green peppercorn sauce

Dessert defies description-an ice cream flight with 6 mini scoops
ranging from olive oil and mint to salted peanut, which sounds odd but
tasted like heaven.
or
Dense chocolate pudding in a sideways bowl, with a side of the salted
peanut ice cream on a bed of slivered  chocolate.

YOU MUST TRY THIS PLACE
www.scyllarestaurant.com <http://www.scyllarestaurant.com>

Jennifer L. Price
Senior Editor/Office Manager
Editorial Department

Barrington Research Associates, Inc.
161 N. Clark St., Suite 2950
Chicago, IL  60601

Direct: 312-634-6341
Email: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  <
mailto:[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> >