From:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2005 21:32:09 -0400

I have been asked by half a dozen people for my challah recipe. I am posting
the two I use. They both taste quite different.

This one is a Sandwich bread recipe that I make either in a La Forme braided
loaf pan or I braid in the following manner per the instructions of Tom Van
Deman, the originator of this recipe:

      Coat a cotton cloth big enough to roll out dough on and pour about 1/2
sack
of the dry ingredients of Tom's Light Bread on this cloth and level it out
to about 1/2 inch or so leaving no place on the cloth without flour on it.
Place your dough on top of the center of this rolling cloth by placing the
completely mixed dough in a baggie with a good sealing zipper. Cut out a
small hole in one of the bottom corners and squeeze out a roll of dough as
long as you wish to have.  Cover this roll of dough with the loose flour
from the cloth until it is not sticky to the  touch. Do this with at least
three rolls of dough.  Gently roll each of the dough rolls in the loose
flour on the cloth until it is completely coated with the loose flour.  Now
you can handle the dough gently to braid.  If a portion of the roll is
sticky just place loose flour on it until is is not sticky any more.  Lay
the three rolls side by side and with your hands gently pick up one end of
one of the rolls and cross it over the one next to it as you would braid any
dough.  If your dough is extra watery then you will have more trouble.  If
you leave out enough of the liquid in the mix to have a dough that is
thicker than usual then you will have a dough that you can manage.  Also,
sometimes I simply keep covering the roll with the loose flour until it
works well and is not sticky to the touch but be careful.  Gently roll the
braided dough onto a piece of plastic or on a sheet of wax paper and
transfer to a cookie sheet. Place the dough in a warm place and allow the
dough to rise until it is about 2 or 3 times as big as when you started.
bake as usual.

The recipe is as follows. If you ever pass this recipe on please include
Tom's details. This recipe is not for commercial use.  I also bake it in a
regular loaf pan and make sandwich bread from it.  It is a very good tasting
bread.

CELIAC LIGHT BREAD by Tom Van Deman

August 20, 2003

1 1/8 cup Chickpea flour also called Garbanzo bean flour (I grind my own)
1 cup cornstarch (I use Cream corn starch)
1 cup + 1 Tbs. tapioca flour
3 1/2 tsp. xanthum gum
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbs. brown sugar (Make sure that there are no lumps)
1/4 tsp. creme of tartar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/8 cup warm water (uncomfortable to touch but not boiling)
3 Tbs. vegetable oil (I use peanut oil or canola oil)
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast

Bread Machine Method

WARNING:  Adding more liquids or flours or reducing same could cause the
bread to not cook thoroughly on the inside or to be too heavy.   Also I am
at almost 6000 feet altitude in Denver area which might cause your bread to
be slightly different than mine.  First try it as is and then experiment if
necessary.

Combine all of the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl except for the
yeast. Mix dry ingredients thoroughly with wire whisk. Mix together the
lightly beaten eggs, warm water, and oil in a separate bowl and thoroughly
mix with wire whisk. Pour the liquid ingredients into your bread machine
bowl (I use my Zoj). Immediately spoon in your dry mixed ingredients on top
of the wet ingredients to make a mound in the center but covering all of the
wet ingredients. With a spoon or spatula make a small depression in top of
your dry ingredients (must be dry for the yeast) and immediately spoon in
your yeast. Place your bread machine pan in the machine correctly and turn
the machine to regular wheat bread cycle and turn on machine. (This dough
will need two kneadings in order to get its content to proper consistency.)

Do not add any more liquids or flour. The dough will form a sticky ball.
With a spatula scrape down the sides of machine bowl to make sure all of the
dry ingredients get into the dough ball. On the rise cycle use your spatula
that is wet to smooth the top of the loaf, if desired. Bake the bread using
the medium crust setting. When finished turn the loaf out onto your wire
rack and allow bread to cool or you can slice it while hot (Do not squeeze
the loaf too tightly while holding it to slice while hot.) Slice the bread
thin with a serrated bread knife or electric knife and enjoy.

Oven Method

Turn your oven to 375 degrees.  Combine all of the dry ingredients in a
medium size bowl or your mixer bowl including the yeast.  Mix thoroughly on
medium or low setting.  Mix together the lightly beaten eggs, warm water,
and oil in a separate bowl and whip with wire whisk until all ingredients
are mixed.   Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with your
mixer on medium speed (Use paddle or dough hook).  When sticky ball forms
scrape sides to get all of the flours and ingredients mixed together and
continue to mix for about 1 minute more.  Scrape into a 9 x 5-inch lightly
greased loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap, set in non drafty warm place and
let rise until at least double size (approximately 45 to 60 minutes).
Remove plastic wrap and pace pan in preheated oven.  Bake for 35-40 minutes
or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped with a spoon.  Turn the loaf out
onto your wire rack and allow loaf to cool or you can slice it while hot (Do
not squeeze the loaf too tightly while holding it to slice when hot.)

Any questions you may call me at 303-550-0609 or email me at
[log in to unmask]  .  -- Tom Deman