From:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2005 21:42:46 -0400

This recipe was given to me by Sara Nussbaum from this list.  I really like
it though I am going to try switching some of the rice flour out with
garbanzo bean flour.

I have not managed to do a braid with 8 sections with this GF bread (or any
other for that matter) but do get a credible braid with 3 sections.  If the
roll starts getting a little tacky just add some more potato starch to your
work surface.

Sherene
-============

1 cup cornstarch

3/4 (three quarters) cup white rice flour
1 cup brown rice flour

1/4 (one quarter) cup potato starcch
3 T almond meal
3 T xanthan gum
1 package red star quickrise yeast
1 t salt

3/4 (three quarter) t. dough enhancer (optional)

2 T. ground flax seed (optional)

1 cup warm water (120 degrees)
2 T dry potato flakes

1/4 (one quarter) cup oil

1/4 (one quarter) cup honey
3 eggs + 1 egg yolk

Directions:
1. Mix dry ingredients in heavy duty mixer
2. Dissolve potato flakes in warm water, and add slowly to mixer
3. Add oil and honey
4. Add eggs and mix until blended.

5. mix dough at high speed for 2-3 minutes, then dump out onto counter
that's generously coated with potato starch. Knead dough (!) and separate
into 3 or 4 sections (depending on how you're used to braiding your
challah).   roll sections into long snake-like stands (about 1 inch thick)
and braid.
6.Let rise for 30-45 minutes.
7.Brush with egg wash,
8. then bake at 350 for about 35-40 minutes.
It tasted GREAT!.. (cover with foil after 20 minutes if top gets too brown)
9. Transfer to wire cooling rack, rub top with margarine while still hot.