Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:38:01 -0500
Sorry I have not replied sooner. I have been away from the computer,
building a porch.

I have actually not lost a significant amount of weight on either the
Atkins or Paleo. I feel better, and I don't gain any weight, so I
don't really worry about it. The only way I can lose weight is through
calorie restriction. When I eat about 1500 calories a day, all Paleo,
I can lose weight. I can do this, but I get easily sidetracked
whenever my routine is interrupted, like when your parents visit for a
week and help build a porch.

I have had much success with venison. I ground it up and made sausage
(chorizo flavor); I cut it up into steaks, pounded it out thin, and
baked it with garlic, onions, and green peppers, and lots of black
pepper; I cook roasts using the Alton Brown method - roast at a very
low temp until the internal temp reaches 118deg (for rare), then let
it rest on the counter for about 30 minutes. If you like, you can
brown it under the broiler after it's rested. I spice the roasts like
lamb - rub with olive oil, kosher salt, rosemary, black pepper & slit
the meat and insert garlic cloves

If you want to cook venison on the grill, you can grind it up into
burgers, or smoke a roast over indirect heat, or grill the back strap
(fillet mignon) spiced with kosher salt and cracked black pepper.

Since venison is very lean, the rarer you leave it, the better, of
course. But y'all know that.

Camille

Date:    Thu, 3 Mar 2005 21:13:27 -0500
From:    Kevin Eifler <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Elk, Venison, Buffola and Hello

Welcome Aboard Camille!

Glad to hear the diet's working for you. Did you experience even
greater weight loss when
switching from Atkins to Paleo? Also, I tried cooking venison once on
an open face grill and it came out rather tough and with little taste.
Can you offer any hints? I'm sure venison is really tasty, but since
I'm not well skilled in the kitchen, I'm still trying to get it to
come out right. Take
care.

Kevin Eifler
Burlingame, CA