From:
Eliot Martin Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 13:21:28 -0700
Kevin,

Learn how to render beef fat.  It's a very useful thing to know in
paleo. And its the same technique whether its goose fat, chicken fat,
beef, lamb or whatever.  You get strips of fat from your butcher or
preferably a pasture-raised source and melt it down over a slow heat in
a large cast iron pan or pot till they look like shrivelled tempura
floating in oil.  Remove the shrivelled strips and pour the fat into
heatproof glass containers to cool.  Pour through a seive with
cheesecloth to remove the smallest particlulate.  This rendered fat does
not need refrigeration though I keep mine in the fridge anyway.  You can
use it for frying, for rubs, melt huge spoonfulls into your cooking,
your sauces, and even just eat a huge spoonful when you're hungry --
like others eat peanut butter.  It tastes good and works wonders.  This
is what you use to make pemmican.  It is said that beef fat is the best
for making pemmican.  These days I've been fortunate to have a lot of
goose fat on hand.

Eliot