Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 08:22:59 -0400
Every year in May, we have a Health Fair for all the County Employees.
It can be tough to listen to the little corporate drones lecture you
on a 'good' diet consisting of no red meat and lots of pasta, but I
have usually avoided fights, out of deference to my
non-confrontational co-workers. I go for the free screenings on
cholesterol and bone density.

I've been keeping track of my results for the last 3 years. Over these
3 years, my diet has changed radically. I think my cholesterol numbers
are interesting, but I've gotten over my obsession with lowering my
cholesterol. My weight has stayed the same over this time period, too.

2003 Total Cholesterol 198 mg/dL  HDL 60 mg/dL
2004 Total Cholesterol 220 mg/dL HDL 67 mg/dL
2005 Total Cholesterol 203 mg/dL HDL 62 mg/dL
The ratio of HDL/Total  has stayed exactly the same - 3.3

prior to 2003 - Weight Watchers Diet
2003 - 2004 - Atkins Diet mostly
2004 - 2005 - Neanderthin

I think my cholesterol went up while I was on the Atkins diet because
I was eating a lot of cheese and store bought meat.  Since starting
Neanderthin, at least half my the meat I've consumed has been range
fed water buffalo, plus I've been consistently taking a fish oil
supplement. Either or both of these are probably the cause for the
nearly 20 pt fall in the last year. Of course, my ratio stayed exactly
the same through it all, so I am not sure how significant the total
numbers are at all.

This year, I didn't eat before getting my blood tested. My fasting
glucose was 74. I was pretty happy to see that. I was worried I was
insulin resistant. (then it would have been over 100, right?)

What is starting to worry me a little is the Bone Density Tests:
Bone Density: 2003 -0.5, 2004 -0.8, 2005 -0.9
0=good  -1.0=starting to get bad (for my age, 35)

I don't know why my bone density is going down. I'm a little concerned
because I am trying to get pregnant. I've *heard* being pregnant
actually improves bone density.  Is this trend something to worry
about, then? Why would this diet, and the Atkins diet, be causing a
loss of bone density? What can be done to improve bone density, other
than lifting heavy objects? ( I know I should be doing that.) As soon
as we start on our house addition, I will be doing plenty of heavy
lifting, for a while.

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Camille
--
"What the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves."--- 'Prometheus Rising'
by Robert Anton Wilson