Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 17:48:56 EST

I disagree with the woman who said boycott American Airlines.

Anyone who is celiac and expects that they may need to eat on a flight should
bring their own food anyway.  I fly a lot.  There was never any guarantee --
sometimes it works when I ordere a GF meal and sometimes it doesn't. One time
I was given a special breakfast consisting of a high gluten bagel and juice.
Unfortunately most of the food on an airline does not have a wrapper that
tells me it has gluten.  So I bring my own food.

It's our health and many of us don't want to put it into someone else's
hands-- particularly someone outside of the food service industry.

The reason so many companies have been slow to deal with the celiac community
is that a few of us give all of us a bad name by being too demanding.  They
are businesses-- not the government-- their obligation to their owners (their
shareholders) is to make them money.  If it's in their economic interests to
have gluten free products (e.g., Whole Foods, Outback Steak House etc.and the
specialty gluten free companies, like Glutino and Energy Foods) they do it.  If
not, they don't.  I would rather that a company not  purport to provide GF
items when they don't know what they are doing than give me a meal  that isn't in
fact GF.

I have no economic interest in American Airlines but I do have a very small
interest in Whole Foods.

June in NYC