From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 07:14:58 -0800
Hi Paul,

Sorry for getting back to you late, I have been pretty busy.

That MAY work, but it all depends on how the installation program for the
motherboard/chipset drivers work. Many actually verify the hardware you are
running on and refuse to install if it is not correct.

Since you will be shutting down and re-starting on the new HW anyway, it
probably can't hurt.

I will be doing this same exercise again in the next couple of days as I
upgrade a P-III/700 to an AMD Athlon64 3200+ running W2K. I plan to
document the whole upgrade for an article I am writing for the freepctech
web site. (Our fearless leader Bob is an avid Intel fan, and has written
some articles for Intel based PC's, so I want to play devil's advocate and
go the AMD route).

At 06:23 AM 2/20/2005, you wrote:
>I may have almost forgotten about the motherboard/chipset drivers
>until opening the new motherboard box, but your suggestion is very
>good. I don't suppose it would be a good idea to run the new board's
>driver disk setup routine before swapping the parts (with no restart,
>of course)? or would that make the changeover equally likely to gag?

Russ Poffenberger

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>