BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:46:56 -0500
Have you tried contacting Otis Elevator of United Technologies? I think they
have an archives department.  I have seen a few elevator upgrades recently
where the machines controls and cables were replaced but the cabs were
restored like in the Chrysler Building but not faithful restoration probably
due to safety,  speed and parts available.

Date: 8 Feb 2005
From: Nancy E. Binnie <nancy_binnie [at] pch__gc__ca>
Subject: Elevator cab

Restoration of 1935 elevator cab in Winnipeg

I am carrying out research for the restoration of a historic
elevator cab interior, installed by Otis-Fensom in 1935 in Winnipeg.
Certain elements of the elevator cab are now missing (flooring,
octagonal light fixture).

Can anyone provide information about the flooring product that was
used, Dominion Rubber Tile floor, and corresponding colours to go
with colour-specification codes T35, T65, T101 and T53.

The wood elevator cab interiors were fabricated by the Newbigging
Cabinet Co.--I have been unable to trace this company.

I would be interested in any readers contacting me about restoration
projects carried out in historic elevators anywhere in Canada or the
US.

Nancy E. Binnie
Conservation Scientist (Chemist)
Conservation Processes and Materials Research
Canadian Conservation Institute
Department of Canadian Heritage
1030 Innes Road, Ottawa
Ontario K1A 0M5
Canada
613-998-3721
Fax: 613-998-4721

The information in this email and any attachments may contain
confidential information that is intended solely for the
attention and use of the named addressee(s).  This message or
any part thereof must not be disclosed, copied, distributed or
retained by any person without authorization from the addressee.
If you are not the intended addressee, please notify the sender
immediately, and delete this message.