Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:33:09 -0500
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:24:15 +0100, c.ten.broeke_mail.chello.nl
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> In that case you might want to read a book by Peter Freuchen, My life
> amongst
> the Eskimo's (I translated the title from Dutch to English so it might be
> called something similar).
> Very happy family life? Yes, ususally the case. Although they apparently
> found
> their own unique way of dealing with stress from the long dark
> wintermonths.

I don't know of we can fairly compare their kind of stress to ours. Think,
for example, of the proven stress from the incessant NOISE we must live
with.

> It's an insightful solution that shows how a healthy society can look at
> sex
> as a stressrelieve  once you get over certain hangups. Still marital
> problems
> were described as well.
> Not hard work? Those missionairies either never took a good look, stayed
> very
> shortly or told blatant lies.

The missionaries described post-contact life, and I bet added stress
themselves.

It was a particularly hard life, full of
> dangers
> from the elements, the animals and stress.

Compared to what? I've just seen a video showing something of life on a
sailing ship in 1805. The Inuit lived much better.

  Just imagine yourself in a
> pretty
> hostile climate a few months of the year. Summer might be warm-ish (even
> up to
> a cosy 12C in June) and people could live in tents but winter was another
> matter.

On Bailey Island (traditional Inuit territory) July could be a scorching
21C!

Snow-houses were supposed to be comfortable, but temporary.

  In summer supplies would have to be hunted, gathered and stored
> and
> winter was (in total darkness) used to travel long distances and visit
> friends
> and relatives.

Travel is easy in winter. The sea becomes a highway. (Jesus boots, eh?)

> From what I read they were very healthy, both physical and mental. But
> it was
> not an easy ride, not at all! It took long hard work and the reality of
> their
> lives was as such that sometimes babies were left outside in the snow if
> food
> was scarce.

Roman noble families ~2,000 years ago would toss a newborn on the garbage
heap outside the house walls if they didn't like its looks, to be eaten by
wild dogs.

  Also families who lost the head of the household could
> starve and
> it was accepted in society. Elderly might walk outside in the cold to
> die if
> they felt they became a burden on the family.

Better way than ours. I've been in the "care homes" where the old are left
to wait for death, and drugged. I'd take a walk on the ice any time in
preference.
According to the news, a Canadian sat on his porch 'til he froze last
week. Because he was lonely.
Dying in extreme cold is said to be a pleasant way to go. Bodies have been
found with parka thrown open, and pleasant look on face.

> It was a damn hard world. In spite of strong social bonds people
> realised they
> could not take care of widows and orphans easily without compromising
> their
> own existence. Yet is was known to happen sometimes people would be
> taken in,
> especially if they possesed skills that were useful.

AFAIK there have been such times elsewhere.

> They ate what would be the ideal diet for that environment. Not sure how
> their
> diet would go in another climate. Also the writer told about how people
> could
> eat you out of house and home. Eat practically not-stop. And when
> necessary,
> not eat for days in a row. Something in their metabolism made it easier
> for
> them to do so because the writer who was of Danish origin needed a more
> regular stream of food. So do I, if I don't eat all day I feel really
> ill.

Not me, I feel good all day. I wonder if this is different for females?
It seems to be the men who eat once a day. Or less often.

  Yet
> the Eskimos were used to either binge or starve.

I don't recall reading this. Maybe they were having a bad year, or P.F.
found a group of bungling hunters.

> By the way, fat women were considered very desirable. They would last
> longer
> during famine, thus giving the family a better chance of survival. Is our
> society nowadays sick or what?

IMHO it's difficult to guess at how sick/self-destructive.

Have you seen the dvd-video Atanarjuat/the fast runner?

William

--
Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.