From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:03:12 -0700
> It's the opposite for me, but I think I know the reason.  It's
> summer now and there is glorious and
> abundant ripe fruit: apricots, peaches, locuts, blackberries, <snip>

Keith, the same happens to me when fruit abundantly comes in season. But,
the difference is during the summer months I'm able to shed the fat gained
easily - generally without trying. During the winter months, fat gained
seems to come off very, very slowly.

During winter holidays I have to be extremely diligent as far as diet is
concerned. During summer holidays I relax a lot more because, for me at
least, they are much less dangerous.

I'm used to it because it's been that way my whole life.

> Rob Faigin gives thirteen references to suport his assertion that:
> "Whereas restricting calories
> causes a metabolic slowdown, consuming extra calories causes your
> body to step-up metabolic
> rate in order to 'waste' calories.  Thyroid activity, thermogenisis
> and leptin levels each increase
> during over-eating."

Does he say anything about changing seasons affecting this?

> Faigin also gives four references which point to sleep deprivation
> altering thyroid hormones <snip>

Which, in my case, makes no sense. During the summer months I get *much*
less sleep than during the winter. Yet, the calorie burning increases
during summer.

I question some of these so-called sleep deprivation effects anyway. I see
it's a big story in the news lately. Yet, I can't help but wonder if it's
not simply "being awake = eating more". Especially when "couch potatoes"
are being counted.