From:
Don Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:11:00 -0700
Lou,

I understand the super radio 3 has an earphone jack.  Can you use it to listen to fm stereo?

Don W6SMB

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:47:14 -0400, Louis Kim Kline wrote:

Hi to all.

Well, I'll throw in my own two cents about the Super Radio vs. the ICF
2010.  The '2010 is convenient to tune because of the keypad entry, and the
selectivity is good, and the synchronous detector can be a definite
plus.  However, if you can live with the selective fading, the Super Radio
beats it hands down for sensitivity, and the audio section is a lot better
in the Super Radio, too.  I have the Super Radio 2 and my sister has the
Super Radio 3, so I've played with both of them, and they are both an
outstanding bang for the buck.

I think the thing I like best about the Super Radio, though, is that the
batteries last forever in that radio.  It took me two years to run the
first set of batteries down!  It is my pick for the best radio to go
through a prolonged power outage with.

To answer your question, Bob, the AM reception is dramatically better than
what you will hear on the average portable radio, due largely to the RF
amplifier, and the really well designed IF section that is nice and
quiet.  I think the FM section is pretty good also, although if you look
hard, you can find receivers that will outperform it on the FM side.  My
old Panasonic RF-2900 springs to mind as a prime example (although the
receiver stunk everywhere else except for FM!).

One thing I would stay away from is some of the lower end "DC to daylight"
receivers that typically cover VLF through 1 or 2 GHz.  The Icom R-100
springs to mind as a prime example.  While these receivers can be fun in
rural areas on VHF/UHF, they generally leave much to be desired on medium
wave and short wave, where they lack both the dynamic range and the
sensitivity to perform well.  A lot of these radios will overload and
become completely useless in an urban environment.  I had that experience
with both the Icom IC-R100, and the Alinco DJ-X10.  Both were completely
useless anywhere near the city of Rochester.  I ended up trading the Alinco
for a Magnavox D2999 general coverage portable, and selling the Icom outright.

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]