Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 01:51:27 -0600

On 2005-08-14 [log in to unmask] said:
   >I just acquired an original Heath DX60 transmitter and HG10 vfo
   >from the estate of my Elmer and life-long friend, K5ZFM.
   >A local friend is going to help me restore it. There shouldn't be
   >much to do other than perhaps changing out the power supply filter
   >caps. While it's not the greatest receiver in the world, I would
   >like to someday acquire the matching HR10 just to have the matched
   >set. Meanwhile, I'll pair it with my original Hq110 which I
   >received new for Christmas in 1968.
   >It may be next spring before this classic re-birth happens, but I
   >can hardly wait to get it operational.
I remember those, especially the hr10.  I can tell you a little story
about an hr10 I bought from a friend and sold to my ex
brother-in-law back in 1975.

I bought the radio when a student at the Iowa commission for the
blind, used it for awhile, sold it to ex brother-in-law.  HE used it
for awhile, bought a heath sb-303 and traded me back the radio for
something else.
i lost interest in shortwave listening and ham radio for awhile and
turned a friend onto the radio.  A few years later the same radio came
back to me when I was itching for something to listen oto the ham
bands on.  AT a small point in time I'd acquired an almost pristine
Hamarlund hq-180 which I really loved, but it went when money got
shore to a pawnbroker.  I got the itch and here came the old hr10 home
again. By this point tubes were going southbound at an accelerating
rate.  THat radio was like the bad penny that wouldn't go away at that
point.  I gave it to another friend who finally used it at some boot
in a trade to a collector on the internet.
Lived in Iowa still in those days and whenever that receiver came home
to roost my only time check source was chu on 7335 khz.

73 de nf5b

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions
--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania