From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:50:50 -0400
Hi.

I went out with the Brockport Amateur Radio Klub (BARK) and operated under
the K2BRK callsign.  I used my backpackable HF station (Icom 706 Mk II G,
Icom AT180 Auto tuner, MFJ 24 Amp switching supply, Millenium QSYer) and
with a G5rv that was launched into some tree tops with the help of Bob
N2WY's fishing pole, the station performed like a champ.  I worked 80, 20,
and 6 meters on my station, while the other station worked 40 while I was
on 80, and 20 while I was on 40 meters.  We were down one transmitter
because one of the guys ran into car trouble and didn't make it, so we
never put a 15 or 10 meter station on the air.  We also didn't get a 2
meter station on the air because the same guy was also bring the 2 meter
station.

I think that portable situations like Field Day, and special event station
operations are where the '706 is at its best.  I haven't been so impressed
with it in the home station, but for that kind of service, it's just the
ticket.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 12:59 AM 6/27/2005 -0600, you wrote:

>------=_NextPart_000_06D5_01C57AB3.6F9927D0
>
>how did everyones field day activities go?
>
>I was able to do a six hour stint at one of the local clubs stations =
>from 1800 to 0000 on saturday night.  We ran 3 radios fairly constantly =
>through out the evening on 20, 40 and 80 meters.
>I used my TS570DG since the rigs currently set up at the club station =
>don't have the voice synths installed, yet!
>Apparently they have a TS2000 hiding away with the voice synth in it, =
>but no one seemed to have the authority or willingness to dig it out and =
>get it operational for me.
>I was active on 40M mostly and manage quite a number of contacts from my =
>QTH (3D AB)  into all of 6, 7, and 9  land as well as a couple into =
>north carolina and florida.
>40 limited me somewhat and apparently some of the 20M contacts were =
>quite a bit better as far as distance goes.
>All and all it was a very enjoyable time for my first field day event.
>We were using the call VE6RAC
>  perhaps that was logged by some folks on the list?
>73
>Colin, V A6BKX
>------=_NextPart_000_06D5_01C57AB3.6F9927D0

>how did everyones field day activities=20 go?
>
>I was able to do a six hour stint at = one of the=20 local clubs stations
>from 1800 to 0000 on saturday night.  We ran 3 = radios=20 fairly
>constantly through out the evening on 20, 40 and 80 = meters.
>I used my TS570DG since the rigs = currently set up=20 at the club station
>don't have = the voice=20 synths installed, yet!
>Apparently they have a TS2000 hiding = away with the=20 voice synth in it,
>but no one seemed to have the authority or = willingness to dig=20 it out
>and get it operational for me.
>I was active on 40M mostly and manage = quite a=20 number of contacts from
>my QTH (3D AB)  into all of 6, 7, and 9 =  land=20 as well as a couple
>into north carolina and florida.
>40 limited me somewhat and apparently = some of the=20 20M contacts were
>quite a bit better as far as distance = goes.
>All and all it was a very enjoyable = time for my=20 first field day event.
>We were using the call = VE6RAC
>  perhaps that was logged by some = folks on the=20 list?
>73
>Colin, V = A6BKX
>
>------=_NextPart_000_06D5_01C57AB3.6F9927D0--

Louis Kim Kline