From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2005 22:57:59 -0400
Bob,

I think the FCC has plenty of power, and they can certainly get whatever
resources they need.  I also think that they are more concerned with money
than they are with radio for its own sake.  Let's face it; hams don't
contribute much economically, when compared to TV broadcasts, for
example.  That being the case, hams are a low priority unless they
interfere with other services.  I'll bet you'd see some action if the nuts
in Southern California were jamming air traffic controller frequencies, or
Radar.  Since they aren't, the FCC doesn't really care what they
do.  Besides, aren't amateurs supposed to police themselves?  Personally, I
wouldn't want the Friendly Candy Company nosing around every time it
thought I was guilty of some infraction like not identifying every ten
minutes, or having a 20KHz wide signal on 75 meter phone.  Mind you, I'm
not advocating that hams behave worse than they already do; and I can think
of lots of them who should clean up their acts, but I think it's up to us
to let them know how we feel about what they're doing.  I didn't mean to
expound quite so much on this topic, but I really think we could do a lot
more to get some of these wackos back into line.  Trouble is, a lot of guys
think these clowns are funny, and egg them on.

Steve