From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 12:32:33 -0600
no, it doesn't make their case because small instances like this are so rare
and the bennifits to the general public that amateur radio provides far far
far out weighs the occasional rogue operators.
In a natural disaster situation where all infra systems are gone, completely
and there is no powerlines for BPL to travel over then who picks up the
communications, the essential communications between government agencies,
relief agencies and citizens?
I am sure you know all this and we have to keep in mind that amateur radio
offten is the essential link in different areas around the world when all
other systems are damaged or destroyed.
Ham operators and those who support us must keep a strong face to agencies
like the FCC and industry canada and others to make sure we arent phased out
because of a perception that we dont offer the general public an adequate
service.
Just because  some aspects of the hobby are not aimed at public service
doesn't mean we deserve to be phased out due to lack of public service.

if anyone has differing oppinions, just email me off list and we can discuss
it.
email: [log in to unmask]
73's
Colin, V A6BKX