Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 2005 21:53:11 -0700
Hi,

I currently own both of these rigs.

I first owned the v7a and found it to be quite user friendly especially when
you have the programming cable.  The first time I programmed one of these it
had the vs3 already installed and once the button lay out was known it was
easy as it follows Kenwood's normal programming procedures.  However, it
doesn't speak the pl tone either encode or decode.  The one big advantage
with this radio is the fact you can crossband repeat and also monitor 2 uhf,
2 vhf or one of each at the same time.

The g707a is nice because it speaks the encode and decode tones.  Neither of
these radios speaks the menu items but the g707a does have a low beep at
menu item 0 or 1.  This allows at least knowing where you are in the menus.
The one biggest weird thing was having to hit the "OK" button to actually
make a new pl tone take.  I am now comfortable with both of these radios and
they in my opinion are good.  The g707a and v7a both take the vs3 and it
goes in about the same place in the radio.  So once you have installed one
you can install one in another radio.  I am a total and had no problem
installing it in the g707a.  Bang for the buck?  depends on what you want to
do monitor two bands at once?  Then the v7a is your answer.  If you only
want one band at a time then the g707a is your answer.  Plus the g707 talks
the pl tone which is handy and it is a little cheaper up front to buy.

Hope that all makes sense!

Brian, k5in