From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:35:06 -0600
John is correct. There is no voice option, and no keypad entry.

For another $100, you can purchase an external keypad called the QSYer,
which is made by a w2 whose call I forget at the moment.

If you want something that is reasonably portable, look at the Icom IC703.
Ask the dealer about the voice option for it. I think it has one, but I'm
not sure. The same company whose name I have forgotten also makes an Icom
version of the QSYer.

The IC703, unfortunately, does not cover 2 meters or 440 like it's big
brother, the 706. This is, I think, unfortunate.

The most accessible portable rigs out there are from Elecraft. The K2 can be
fitted with an option for SSB, but again doesn't cover anything on vhf
without a transverter. It has an accessory which will read frequency and
menu settings in cw.

The Elecraft KX1 is a cw only 2 watt rig for 40, 30, and 20 meters. It too
includes the cw readout. Elecraft will put blind hams in touch with
builders, since their rigs are only sold as kits.