From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:27:31 -0500
Hi Bob.

Well, a simple HT would probably be the old Icom IC-2AT, but that is
probably a little too simple, and a little too old! However, I still have
one running after 23 years!  It is my backup radio and it has never failed me.

If you don't mind using software to program the radio, I am quite happy
with my Icom Ic-T7H.  With 60 memories, I can load every repeater pair in
the area into it with all the PL tones, and just spin the knob on top to go
through the various memories.  I chose the T7H because it has a BNC
connector on the antenna, and I have found them to be more reliable and
durable than the SMA connectors found on radios like the Kenwood THF6A and
the Icom IC-T90A.  I was all set to buy the Kenwood THF6A until I noticed
that it used a SMA connector, and that changed my mind.

As for the Icom IC-T7H, with JAWS, I can operate the software, and the
common day to day things are easily accessible from the keypad.

The only down side to the radio that I can find is the automatic
squelch--I'd still rather twist a knob, myself.

On the HF side of things, I think the friendliest radios are in the used
market.  I find my Kenwood TS-690S to be pretty straightforward to run once
the VS2 voice synthesizer and the AT-450 auto tuner are installed.  I find
the tuner to be a little more forgiving than the tuner on the Icom IC-706
MkIIG.  Of the radios I've tried so far, I've found the TS-690S to be the
friendliest.  I intend to try the Kenwood TS-480S later this next year,
though, because so many people have given it such rave reviews on this list.

My sister is also a blind ham, and has an Icom IC-T2H that she is very fond
of.  It is 2 meters only, but can also be programmed from the
computer.  I've used it here in Rochester under strong RF conditions, and
the receiver has held up very well, despite the fact that I have a major
hospital with all kinds of paging services about 1 mile away.

Hopefully, that will give you some ideas.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 10:08 AM 12/29/2004 -0800, you wrote:

>------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C4ED8E.59552DF0
>
>Ok guys, I have bin copying the mail out here now for a few month. I =
>passed the technician class exam about 2 weeks ago (kg6yaa) and I am =
>definitely ready for the general test.  However, I have only seen one =
>ham rig since 1957 and the nearest store is 70 miles away.  At first, I =
>thought I would look at the Kenwood 2,000 but the more I thought about =
>it, the more I realized that there are probably so many whistles, bells, =
>and lights to say nothing about menus, buttons, and controls that I =
>would be so over whelmed that I would just forget it.  Now, I think what =
>I need is the absolutely simplest total blind friendly to old men =
>radios.  Then, If I use it, I can go on to other things.  Right now, =
>even when I answer the questions correctly on QRZ.COM  practice tests I =
>don't know what I am talking about. =20
>
>So, What is the simplest handy talky for us to start?  Thanks for any =
>suggestions. =20
>
>Bob Humbert kg6yaa
>------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C4ED8E.59552DF0

>Ok guys, I have bin copying the mail out here now = for a few=20 month. I
>passed the technician class exam about 2 weeks ago (kg6yaa) and = I am=20
>definitely ready for the general test.  However, I have only seen = one
>ham=20 rig since 1957 and the nearest store is 70 miles away.  At first, I
>= thought=20 I would look at the Kenwood 2,000 but the more I thought
>about it, the = more I=20 realized that there are probably so many
>whistles, bells, and lights to = say=20 nothing about menus, buttons, and
>controls that I would be so over = whelmed that=20 I would just forget
>it.  Now, I think what I need is the absolutely = simplest total blind
>friendly to old men radios.  Then, If I use = it, I can=20 go on to other
>things.  Right now, even when I answer the questions = correctly on
>QRZ.COM  practice tests I don't know what I am talking = about.
>
>So, What is the simplest handy talky for us to = start? =20 Thanks for any
>suggestions.
>
>Bob Humbert kg6yaa
>
>------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C4ED8E.59552DF0--

Louis Kim Kline