Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:22:34 -0400
Hi to all.

That radio has been on my wish list for a while, but I am hanging back
until I see if BPL is going to make HF unusable, because it is frankly too
much money to sink into 2 meters and 70 cm, and besides, my Kenwood TS790
does a fabulous job up there.  I live in Rochester, approximately 1 mile
from a major hospital, and the receiver on the '790 is clean as a
whistle.   That's a lot more than I can say for the Icom IC-706 MkII G.

Don't get me wrong.  I like the Icom for what it is, but it can't hold a
candle on VHF/UHF to the Kenwood TS790.

Anyway, I got off on a tangent.  I am keenly intersted in the messages sent
on this list detailing the filtering options.  I like the idea of a manual
notch.  At first it might sound frivolous, but automatic notches don't cut
it for HF CW operation, and CW operation makes up about 60% of my operating
activity.  Enough so that I always buy a good tight CW filter for my rigs,
usually 250 Hz or something close to that if one is offered.

As for IF DSP, I am still waiting to experience that.  I've used AF DSP for
about 7 years now, and my results have been so so.  I can often clean a lot
of noise off the signal, but I dislike the watery sound that signals can
take on when they are being digitally processed, and I generally wish I had
my old Autek Research QF1A audio filter back.  It was awesome.

I'm probably not going to make any more significant investments in HF
equipment, given what I am hearing about areas of the country where BPL is
being implemented, but if they somehow decide to back away from this
technology, then I'll revisit the idea.

Otherwise, it's more money than I think I can afford to throw down the toilet.

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline

A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]