Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:10:23 -0500
7bit
From:
Harvey Heagy <[log in to unmask]>
As most of you could not be at the funeral services for Walter Siren, I
thought I'd write a few words of tribute so that you could get a taste of
what it was like to say farewell to him and of what his life was like.

Silent key Walter Siren, (W5RNH), is now in his final resting place.  We
gathered on Monday July 18th, at Lake Lawn Funeral Home in New Orleans to
say farewell to Walter.  There was quite a turnout of mourners to celebrate
his life and accomplishments.

The funeral service was simple yet very dignified and included 4 of Walter's
favorite hymns: Rock of Ages, Precious Lord Take my Hand, It is well with my
soul, and He Leadeth me.

His pastor Michael Fox spoke the eulogy and offered a final prayer.

After a brief graveside service, many gathered for a post funeral dinner
given by his
church which featured lots of good food and fellowship.

We will all miss Walter, but the turnout of people considering that
everything including the visitation was on a weekday spoke volumes as to
what he meant to all of us.

One thing about Walter that comes to mind is this: My first computer
training was in 1987 at a class given by the University of New Orleans.  I
took the class immediately after the one taken by Walter and his daughter
Donna.  But it would be another 6 years before I was able to purchase my
first computer which was a dos operated 486.  Not having had the benefit of
my own computer at the time of the course, I had forgotten much of what I
had learned, so I more or less had to start over again from the ground up.
It was Walter who helped me a lot during those days.  It took patience and
hours of work to get everything going, but whenever I needed help or got
myself into trouble he was always there to help.  If he couldn't help right
when I called, he would offer to do so later at a time that was agreeable to
both of us.

Another thing I remember is that after his retirement as a vending stand
operator, his former clerk took his location over, but later decided he
would be happier clerking for someone rather than running his own location,
Walter temporarily came out of retirement and went to the location and
helped him work
it during his last 2 weeks for no pay just to make sure his last 2 weeks
would run smoothly and that the facility would
be in good hands when it was transferred to its new operator.

He also was one of the people who got me interested in ham radio.

I am 54 years old.  Walter was 77, almost 78.  I have known Walter and his
family all my life.  His wife Lola taught several sighted mothers of blind
children Braille when we were in elementary school including my own.  This
is a tremendous loss not only to me but to all who knew him.  But while we
all feel this loss, he would want us all to keep going and do our best as he
would because life goes on.

I don't know if the New Orleans Times Picayune newspaper is available online
or not, but I understand that the Sunday July 17th paper carried a very good
article about Walter.  I don't know if it was included in the obituary
section, or if it was in another section of the paper.

For the benefit of those who may not be familiar with the term "silent Key,"
it is a term used by ham radio operators to refer to one of their own who
has died, and W5RNH was Walter's ham call sign.  73's and 88's where
appropriate.
Harvey Heagy (N.5.H.A.U.)