Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:54:01 -0400
Hi.

Does the TS830S have the capability of using a separate receive
antenna?  If so, there may be a couple of options.  One option might be to
try to construct some sort of notch filter to selectively attenuate that
one frequency.   If you have a separate receive antenna, a series LC
circuit between the antenna center conductor and ground should do the
trick. That wouldn't be very practical if you also had to use the same
antenna for transmitting, though.  You'll probably still lose a few khz,
but it might reduce the problem.  Another idea might be to construct a
receiving loop antenna, and turn it so that the station transmitting the
carrier is in the null for the loop.  If you can find a receiver
preselector with enough Q, that might help, also.

I don't suppose your friend has enough space to try to put up something
directional for a transceive antenna to try to add a few decibels of
rejection on that signal, but if you can find a way to knock a few dB off,
it just might get the signal down to the point where the radio's RF
Attenuator can do the rest.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 09:20 PM 6/16/2005 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi all
>
>Just trying to help a friend with this one.
>
>He is living within 3 miles of a military base.
>
>There is a carrier on the top end of 80 metres which we believe to be
>from that base.  It is full scale on the meter and stays there with
>the attenuater swithced on.
>
>Unless he tunes more than 50 kcs away the agc is still responding and
>desencing the rx.
>
>I am surprised at this as the rig is an old ts-830.  I had one of
>these years ago and found it to be fairly bomb proof.
>
>Just wondering whether any of you have used a more up to date radio
>in similar circumstances and whether it suffered in the same way?
>
>Can do nothing about the presents of this carrier as in the uk we
>have 3.5 mhz on a shared basis.
>

>Keith
>
>- - - -
>
>Keith Barrett