Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 07:00:22 -0800
Hi Fred,

Personally, I had a bad experience with the 811H.  I bought one brand new
and had it in the shack for about three months.  One night, while in QSO on
20 meters, it gave a loud bang and quit working.  When I called ameritron to
discuss possible causes of the problem, they were telling me things to check
out visually.  When I told them I was totally blind, the tech's immediate
reaction was that I had most likely over driven the amp because I could not
read the meter and thus they would probably not cover it due to my misuse.
Rather than paying for shipping across the country only to have the warranty
claim rejected, I sold it at a huge loss to a local him and bought a
different amplifier from another local ham.

Now, for the recommendation.  Despite their lousy treatment I now have and
would highly recommend the Ameritron ALS-600 solid state amplifier.  The
difference you would see in output power between the two is insignificant
and the solid state is so easy to use.  You just change the band knob on the
front and that's it.  If SWR, drive power or any of those parameters get out
of whack, it simply shuts down.  I've looked at other solid state units such
as the Tokyo High Power and the Finnfet units in Europe but none of them are
really in my price range.  You can easily find an ALS-600 used for around
$800.

Good luck and very 73.

Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX