From:
James Maki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:34:08 -0800

The following are my personal views/opinions and your situation may be
different, but it should give you a place to start. I have multiple
partitions as follows;

C - for the operating system
D - downloaded files
E - installed programs
F - files
(plus various other partitions for specialized files)
V - virtual memory

> 1.How much space does the operating system need?

I allowed 10 GB for the OS files. I have quite a lot of programs loaded and
did not try to minimized the install size. At present, I am using about 4 GB
leaving 6 GB free.

I allowed 20 GB for the other partitions and 2 GB for virtual memory (I am
running 1 GB of RAM and I believe the suggested size is 1.5X installed RAM).

> 2.What format should I use for the partitions?

With WinXP, I always use NTFS. Others will disagree. Some like the ability
to use DOS based utilities with FAT32.

> 3.Is there any chance that I erase the operating system when
> doing this procedure?

There is always a chance that something will go wrong when doing an
operation like this. That said, I have never lost anything due to partition
magic screwing up the disk.

> 4.Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

It is always a good idea to back up any files that cannot be replaced. You
can easily re-install the OS and programs that you have a disk. No so for
your data files.

I move My Documents to the F partition and change virtual memory to V. The
first makes backing up easier since the OS and files are on separate
partions and the second lets the virtual memory not fragment the C drive.

I do not store files in My Documents and never accept the default location
for program installation. I store all my files on F and all programs are
installed on the E drive.

Do you have a imaging program such as Ghost or True Image? I find them
invaluable as a safety net.

> Thank you in advance
> Donald DeWitt

Hope these tidbits are helpful.