C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:49:13 -0400

Shortcut to:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2005/09/12/botox_drooling_20050912.html

Botox being used for children with excessive drooling
Last Updated Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:43:38 EDT
CBC News
A doctor at the McGill University Health Centre has become the first person to
treat an infant with Botox because of excessive drooling. Dr. Sam Daniel decided
to experiment with the drug when the baby started to drown in his saliva.

This marked the first time a child under four years had this kind of treatment.

Dr. Daniel said the infant suffers from a rare disorder called Charge Syndrome.
The child's parents were distraught because he was drowning in his own saliva
and was being kept alive on a ventilator.

Dr. Daniel suggested they try a Botox injection in his neck.

"I wasn't sure it would work," Dr. Daniel said. "I wasn't sure of the side
effects but I knew if it did work it would mean something for this child and the
family."

The infant is now eight months old and doing well. His parents did not want
their child identified.

Dr. Sam Daniel also treated Kim Gardner's seven-year-old son Kevin. Kevin
suffered from excessive drooling because of cerebral palsy.

"There's a lot of people that won't go near him because they're afraid of the
drool. They figure if he's drooling I'm going to catch something," Gardner said.
After having had two Botox injections, Kevin "went from four bibs a day to one
bib a day."

Dr. Daniel says the Quebec government does not fund the treatment because it has
not approved it.

He acknowledges Botox is a relatively new treatment for saliva management. But
he points out Ontario is already covering the cost of administering it.

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending
or receiving certain types of file attachments.  Check your e-mail security
settings to determine how attachments are handled.