From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2005 16:21:12 -0500
There is an interesting article on Cordain's website regarding the
insulinaemic responses of whole milk and skim milk.  Skim milk provoked a
significant insulin response despite its low glycemic index.  I come from a
family of type 2 diabetics and the stupid ADA continues to encourage type
2s to drink skim milk!  As a middle aged female -- docs are always pushing
multiple servings of low-fat dairy to preserve bone.  No wonder so many
women who follow this advice are overweight.  Anyway, one quote from the
article mentions a study by Holt:

"Except for cheese with an insulin score of 45 (Holt et al.1997) all dairy
products (whole milk, skimmed milk,yoghurt, ice cream, cottage cheese and
fermented milk pro-ducts) have been shown to have potent insulinotropic
prop-erties that may have far-reaching health effects, given thehypothesis
that insulinaemia is a modulator of insulinresistance (Ludwig, 2002). Our
data (Fig. 1) confirm theobservation of Ostman et al. (2001) that
consumptionof milk induces a reactive hypoglycaemia. "

Does anyone know how I could find the article by Holt?  I'm interested in
seeing if butter and cream are mentioned.