NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
J Balbirnie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 23:07:15 -0500
I understand this information to be accurate.  We have used Tofutti products for years and will continue to do so.. I also let my boys have Oreo's (Golden Uh-Oh's Christmas, Easter, Mini Oreo's) ... those are definitely produced on cross contaminated lines.. along with Duncan Hines Cake mixes and Icing, Kellogs Pop tarts, Pillsbury Icing even alot those sugary cereals in the supermarket are not "parve" so the risk of cross contamination is much higher.  We've never had a reaction...We always read the labels carefully, stick with major US brands.. Call the MFg if something on the label is not clear (however, most have started labeling with the allergen information cleary pulled out of the ingrediant statement.. listing it 2X on the label) and each year they grow older the reactions that have occurred are not as "hair trigger"  they know when their tongue feels funny.  We always carry Benedryl ( the first response if ANY food milk or otherwise seems to have produced a reaction) with Epipens (should any reaction include tongue, respiratory etc...... and both were Medic Alerts... Thankfully, the Benedryl always stops the reaction.

Unfortunatly, ANY food that is processed, us as parents assume the risk that our children will be "safe" but there's never any guarentee.
MAry Beth