From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 09:11:25 -0400
Hi Anthony.

I have a Type 'n Speak with a nearly dead battery pack.  Is there any
particular procedure for changing these out?  Is there volatile firmware
that will be history afterwards?  Do you know anything about the batteries
for the newer disk drives?

I'm trying to decide between rehabbing the Type 'n Speak, buying a Pac
Mate, or getting a laptop and just loading JAWS on it.  Fixing the Type 'n
Speak is probably the most economical approach, but the least functional
approach for the things that I want to do with portable computing.  The
laptop would probably support my ham radio activities best, but the Pac
Mate would probably support my work activities best.  Decisions, decisions!

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 01:59 AM 8/31/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello all:
>On Saturday someone mentioned having a problem finding batteries for the
>braille and speak.  I have a type and speak which is the braille and speak
>with basically the same guts but with a computer keyboard.  The batteries
>they used were a series of 5 650 miliampere hour nicad  double a batteries.
>The batteries were wrapped in a piece of shrink tubing to form a pack. I
>picked up 5 1000 miliampere nicad double a batteries from hosfelt
>electronics and made a new pack.  It works fine, but because of the higher
>capacity of the batteries, it takes a little longer to charge. It should
>cost you around $10 for the batteries.
>Have fun.
>
>Tony McCloskey, Wa3CAO

Louis Kim Kline