From:
wayne hammons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 16:14:46 -0600
Can anybody tell me where to find information on the source of nutritional
information presented on food labels?  Are they extrapolated from the core
ingredients or do they send food samples to a lab somewhere and analyze the
composition? Do the labeling regulations differ for small businesses?

My daughter has Celiac disease, so Pemmican has provided us with a
nutritional stop gap food for her to take where the availability of gluten
free food is questionable.

I have assumed the nutritional information is wrong based on how pemmican is
made and what the macronutrient composition of its' ingredients should be.
The information that they provide may very well be correct.  However I don't
think I could eat 8 oz. of pimmican but I have no problem eating 24 oz. of
rare Porterhouse steak, which should have a lot more calories then what they
have listed. Also, when I compare the texture of a frozen or refrigerated
bar to one that is consumed in the afternoon after being in my backpack all
day, it seems pretty obvious that fat is the primary binding agent.  I am
getting a little concerned as summer approaches that we will be drinking
pemmican soup by mid-August.